Monday 20 July 2009

Playdough Pizza and Super Sushi

No, not real playdough, that wouldn't taste so great, but incredibly green looking dough.

I used my normal pizza dough (200g flour, 1 tbs oil, 1 tsp easy bake yeast, 1/2 tsp salt) and added 1/2 a tsp of spirulina. I did this for three reasons 1) I have a lots of the stuff left over from my short stint of attempting to eat raw 2) It's a vegan superfood, apparently 3) Poops and giggles!

My spirulina in mushrooms experiment of earlier on in the week yielded very fishy smelling mushrooms, which made me decide to only add 1/2 tsp this time. I expected a slight green tinge, but what I got was awesome playdough green. You can see this here, where I have rolled out and added some Tofutti Chedder Style Slices in a misguided attempt to make a double decker pizza.



This doesn't really show up exactly how green the dough was... by the time it had rested in the fridge, it was even greener.

After topping with tomatoes, jalapeƱo peppers, home grown courgettes, mushrooms and peppers and baking, it pretty mush turned a slightly green grey. However, the fishy taste I had detected in the mushrooms was all but gone, so I think this will become a regular nutritional boost to my pizza doughs.



Saturday night I made my first ever sushi.

This was made with rice dressed in maple syrup, cider vinegar and homemade Gomashio, rolled with a mix of courgettes, cucumber, yellow pepper and beetroot. I thought it would be a lot harder to make



The next day I enjoyed the left over veggies mixed with some rice. This made a lovely pink rice salad. I love the way beetroot dyes everything pink. I'm sure there must be some cool pink recipes I can utilise this in. Suggestions welcome :)




In non-food related news, my trip to 'Aylesbury on Sea' was an incredibly damp one. Note the reflected life ring on the pier. It's kinda a shame, as if it was sunny, it would have been a great day.



It pelted it down, and I spent longer then strictly required hiding in Costa, lingering over a soya latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment