This was adapted from Sweet and Sassy Cherry Sauce over on dlife, a diabetes support website, who in turn took it from The Cherry Marketing Institute . Like cherries need marketing?!?
Adapted Cherry Compot - Makes two cups
2 cup Cherries
2 tbs sugar
6 tbs water (Divided)
2 tbs cornflour
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp vodka
Juice and rind of 1/2 a small unwaxed lemon
- Place cherries sugar and 4tbs of the water into a small pan and bring to a slow boil, simmer covered for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once the cherries have released a lot of the juice, scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put to one side
- Mix the salt and cornflower together. Add this to your 2tbs of water, and mix into the pan
- Add the vodka along with the lemon juice and zest.
- Continue to simmer over a low heat for 7-8 mins
- Put the cherries back in, and cook for another 3-5 mins, until cherries are softened and the compot is of the desired thickness.
To make into a pancake syrup, take 2 parts compot to one part maple syrup and warm.