Monday 27 July 2009

Broccoli Skillet Toss



I go through small phases of really longing for certain veg. This week, I've not been able to get enough broccoli.

Saturday Night it was Broccoli and Chili Pasta, which I've posted about before and today I had a snack bowl of broccoli stir fry.

Broccoli Skillet Toss - Serves 1

1/2 head Broccoli.
1 clove garlic
2 rings red onion
2 small slices of fresh ginger
1/2 tsp chili paste
1 tsp oil of choice
  • Cut broccoli into florets. Slice garlic as thinly as you can and matchstick the ginger.
  • Heat your 1/2 tsp oil in a cast iron skillet to a medium heat
  • Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook until starting to go translucent
  • Add broccoli and cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 mins
  • Mix remaining oil with chili paste and drizzle into pan
  • Cook for another 2-3 mins. If you have a lid big enough, place this over your broccoli to help it cook and keep the moisture in.
  • Eat. Chopsticks optional.
I also had an epic food purchasing fail. Being as I love peanut butter I was very excited to see some cheap in QD (budget shop in my town). It turns out when a jar of peanut butter with chocolate chips in it is for sale and cheap, it's because it seems to contain no chocolate chips, just sugar.

Now, sugary peanut butter might be okay to ice a cake with, but it's not so nice on toast. Queue the quickest peanut butter improve know to man.

Chocolate Peanut Swirl

1 small jar peanut butter
4 squares (c 20g) dark chocolate
  • Chop chocolate into chip sized lumps
  • Microwave jar of peanut butter for 1 min. It should now be runny enough so you can't dig a hole in it
  • Add chocolate chips and stir just long enough to incorporate the chips, but stop before the chocolate fully melts
  • Place jar in fridge to harden
Actually, this saved the jar of peanut butter. I wouldn't go as far as buying peanut butter to do this to... but if you have one of those inexplicably sweet jars, go for it. It came out like a very budget version of 'Dark Chocolate Dreams' though not nearly as nice. Admittedly though, it was less than 1/4 of the price. I expect if I added more chocolate it would work better, but I fear that I would be throwing good money after bad.

Also, I've had a bash as coconut milk kefir. Basically, I took about 1 cup of coconut milk and added 1 tbs of soy kefir. I let then rest overnight on the counter top. It had separated out into especially sour 'whey' which has gone to make sourdough, and white creamy stuff. After straining, there was about a 1/4 cup of coconut cream kefir. I wouldn't bother again.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete