Saturday 18 April 2009

An Apple a day...


One of the nice things about the weekends is that I get to eat a nice, leisurely breakfast, this normally means that on Saturdays I have Overnight French Toast, significantly adapted from 'La Dolce Vegan'

My tweeks

I use Bramley Apple, two large ones thinly sliced

Popped into a small pan, with 1 -2 tablespoons of water, and 2-3 tablespoons of apple sauce. Heat until steaming, then turn add cinnamon to taste. Let it sit on a low heat until soft.

I like my apple things nice and sharp, so I don't add any sweetener. The rest I stick to the recipe for. Basically, this calls for making a nice, creamy topping you dip some bread into which you arrange on top of the apple yum in a dish, and then pour the remaining 'batter' over the top. Overnight it soaks it all up, and you bake it in the morning.

The nice thing about this is that you do all the prep the night before, all I need to do in the morning is stick the oven on and pop the appley yumfest in. This bakes for about 35 mins, which gives me enough time to watch Pushing Daisies while it's cooking, and then eat the yummy apple goodness while watching the end of the show.



Lunches

I try to have a nice soup in winter/spring if I'm home for lunch. Today was a very nice 'chicken' and rice soup, made with seitan. Yum. The nice thing here is you just mix gluten powder with a little water and cook it right in with the soup. It makes it very quick :)



Tonight's dinner will be something with Broccoli in it... on the grounds of I bought a huge head of close dated broccoli for 25p from the Coop, and it needs eating up!


People often make a big thing that being vegan or vegetarian costs more... I think that's hooey, since being 99.99% vegan I think I probably prepare 3 meals a day for myself and my other half, and I think my shopping bill is probably £30 a week, including treats etc. When I just just plain veggie I think I probably spent three times this as I would go shopping a lot more often, and spend less each time. I used to eat a lot of Quorn (which contains eggs) and is a lot more expensive.


Veggies are becoming more expensive, but if you keep your eyes open, you can get some good deals. Some vegan staples are fairly cheap, like rice, lentils etc.


Oh, and a bonus cat pic, because they are loooooly :)




No comments:

Post a Comment