Sunday 19 April 2009

Chocolate Caramel Matzos for Two (Recipe)

Two Serving Chocolate Caramel Matzo - Recipe

I've seen various recipes for these running about the interwebs, but since I didn't much fancy the idea of making a load of them, I've guesstimated a cut down version that only makes two servings (for me as the hubs)

1 Matzo Cracker (I actually used some 'Food Doctor' Organic Wholegrain Spelt Crackers I had laying around the house)
1 serving of vegan margarine (about 7 g)
4 tsp brown sugar
4 squares of 70% dark chocolate (20g) - cut into small chunks (Chocolate chips would be better if you had them)


  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Spread marge on cracker
  3. Top with sugar
  4. Stick into oven
  5. Keep an eye until sugar starts to bubble apx 3 mins
  6. Take out and sprinkle with chocolate
  7. Let chocolate melt, then spread with a knife
  8. Allow to cool/set (those of you who are impatient might put these in the freezer!)

Yomp, with the brand of crackers I used, this worked out at only 130kcals for a half sheet of cracker.... seemed very low for something so indulgent. Below is a picture of what once portion looks like.


________________________
Most weekends, I make a Pizza, because a) I really like them and b) it's a good way of using up any veggies that are starting to look like they won't make it through to the next week ;)
My preferred dough is a very simple one


200g flour of choice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp quick action yeast
1 tbs olive oil


I normally whack this in the breadmaker to knead for 5 mins, then leave to prove for 30 mins. After this, I knock it back, and by the time the oven has warmed up and I've topped the pizza, it's ready to go. I always dust my pizza surface with dried polenta as this adds a nice crunch, more then plain flour.


Today's pizza was topped with 1/2 can of tomatoes, mixed with a tbs of ketchup and a little garlic. The veggies were red onions, green pepper, mushroom and the smallest ever bit of left over courgette. I cooked this for 10 min @ 230c, then added some beef seitan I had sat in the fridge and cooked for another 5.

Oh, and for the manically curious, I had a tofu casserole thing for breakfast, and red lentil soup with jalapeno peppers and tomato for lunch... and both were scrummy

No comments:

Post a Comment